Thursday, April 16, 2015

Typography Around Me





University of Minnesota. A phrase that I see every day, but have never taken the time to appreciate. What went into choosing the font for this? What makes it work so well? How does it represent the University of Minnesota brand? These are all questions I never considered before, but now that I have a better understanding when it comes to typeface, it intrigues me and pushes me to want to know more.

I think the University of Minnesota font was chosen because it is readable and it comes across as distinguished and educational. I also think this typeface works because of how the "U" and "M" are both slightly larger on the vertical scale compared to all the others. The  "O" of "of" keeps it small size, which is nice in this case because "of" isn't one of the most important words in the phrase. Lastly, I like how the words are small compared to the large "M" they are paired with since that is a symbol that is incredibly well known and understood by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment